Momentary Lapses

This blog was created during a momentary lapse, a period when I'm stuck in my writing and trying to jog something loose in my brain or push myself so close to deadline that I can kill, without remorse, the beloved opening or headline or quote that is keeping me from moving forward. Most of my posts here will have to do with writing, including occasional Favorite Writing Quotes (FWQs). Please share yours, and your comments, too.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Boston, Massachusetts, United States

Friday, January 04, 2008

Tagged! I'm It!

I've been tagged by Cathy Cairns, http://catherinecairns.com/blog, one of my Sisters in Crime, to play a fun game of getting-to-know-you.

Here are the tagged rules:
1) Link to the person that tagged you, and post the rules on your blog.
2) Share 7 facts about yourself.
3) Tag 7 random people at the end of your post, and include links to their blogs.
4) Let each person know that they have been tagged by leaving a comment on their blog.

So here we go:

1. I have a hard time letting go of my mistakes. I still replay gaffes from my school days or jobs I held 25 years ago. It’s the social, character-related goofs that stick. If I ever offend you, I’ll apologize, send you flowers, bake you a cake and leave you money in my will.

2. In fourth grade, I played the title role in two acts of a five-act play, in French, of “The Emperor’s New Clothes.” I wore my brother’s long underwear, black patent leather shoes, a crown and (for Act 3 but not Act 4) a cape. My senior year at an all-girl high school, I got my role as Horrible Henry in the class musical, “Carnival,” because I could sing like a walrus. I’ve always loved to sing, but have a chorus voice that needs support. I sing Loud Soprano in my church choir.

3. I have read almost all of Georgette Heyer’s books, mysteries as well as Regency and Georgian romances, and have copies of most of them. Check out “Envious Casca,” and “Death in the Stocks.”

4. Squeaky shoes or chalk on a blackboard doesn’t bother me much, but the sound of chewing drives me crazy. I have to eat at the same time to mask the noise or go in another room. I have three teenage boys who probably wonder why I leave the breakfast table so soon after they start on their Cheerios or peanut butter toast.

5. I’m no good at anything that requires speed or agility, but I’m a very good swimmer, I enjoy strength training and pilates, and I once won a 5th place trophy in the Women’s 18-24 division in a half-marathon.

6. I sewed most of my kids’ Halloween costumes, including Worf from “Star Trek: The Next Generation,” Daniel Boone, the White Power Ranger, Woody the Cowboy, the Pharaoh, and Neo from “The Matrix.” They’re all packed in bins for the next generation. Doesn’t matter if the seams are straight.

7. My family has a dominant “know-it-all” gene. We always raised our hands in class and could never succeed at Jeopardy! because we can’t resist guessing. Conversation at a family gathering sounds like a scene from Kafka. I’ve never read Kafka, but I know that’s what it sounds like.

I'm working on my "taggees." It's a "you go first" kind of thing. Stay posted.

1st Tag, Good Sport Felicia Donovan at http://feliciadonovan.blogspot.com

2 Comments:

Blogger Cathy C said...

Hey Mo! Thanks for being such a good sport and agreeing to be my taggee.

You've got a great list here and I can sooo relate to the chewing issue. My father was a loud chewer and it drove me nuts! I made a point of telling my kids as they were growing up to chew with their mouths closed. Now they're all adults who are annoyed by loud chewing noises. I wonder what would have happened if I'd let them be loud chewers? Hmm...

I've never read anything by Georgette Heyer, but she's on my list, especially now since I'm working on a mystery/romance set in England in the 1790s.

I am so impressed that you performed that fourth grade title role in French. You must have looked adorable!

You can offend me any time if it means I get cake! ;o)

Thanks again,
Cathy

4:29 AM  
Blogger Felicia Donovan said...

Oh, thanks, Mo! Okay, I'll get right on it and others had better hope they're not on my Tag list.

7:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home